Learn About Historical Events and Corridor Sites
Williamsport was established in 1828 by William Harrison. Being an industrious fellow, he constructed a short cut-off canal, tapping into the canal traffic on the Wabash and Erie Canal. This led to Williamsport’s nickname of Side-Cut City. The city has several historic landmarks, including an original Carnegie library, renamed the Williamsport-Washington Township Public Library. Other notable landmarks included the historic residences of the Kent and Hitchens House.
The Indiana historic marker outside of the Warren County Courthouse in Williamsport, Indiana
Image Source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/auvet/6925812282/
A view in the Business Section, Williamsport, Indiana
Image Source: https://elevation.maplogs.com/poi/warren_county_in_usa.60475.html